Big Timber Lutheran Church's history begins with Melville, our mother church, Melville Lutheran Church. Then on February 16, 1907, a group of men and women met in the Congregational Church for the purpose of organizing a Lutheran congregation at Big Timber. Rev. E. A. Erickson, who was at that time serving as the pastor of the Melville and Howie congregations called the meeting to order and was chairman of the meeting. Mr. A. H. Arneson was elected secretary. All those present were in favor of organizing a congregation, and the name chosen was The Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation in and around Big Timber, Montana.
The full history can be downloaded here
The following head of families became the charter members of this congregation:
Andrew A. Benson, John Esp. Ole Esp, T. J. Egeland. J. S. Solberg, A. H Arneson. Andrew A. Berg, Alfred H. Birkeland. Peter J. Egeland. Thorvald Gunderson, A. M. Grosfield, B. S. Lavold, Martin Crest, G. Knudson, N. Tyede, Torger Braadle, Anton Grande. and Albert Aalgaard. George Rostad. Peter Becken, Hunry Wullum, Iver Hoyem, Osmund Larson, 0. a. Fallang, and Cane Tangen were added shortly thereafter. All of these men, with their wives pioneered in the establishing of this congregation and the erection of the church building.